Sunday 29 May 2016

All About Highlighter

Highlight is one of my favourite parts of my makeup routine. I put it on just before I finish my look with a lip pencil and lipstick.

I apply highlight with a very light hand. The idea of highlight is to place it in areas of the face you want to 'bring forward' or 'highlight'. I've tried to find a couple of photos where my highlight is noticeable.



Those areas are the upper cheeks, the top lip line or 'cupid's bow', the tip of the nose, the centre of the chin, the tear duct near the inner eye and on either side of the eyebrow.



I find the use of highlighter can make my face look more youthful, glowing and healthy. At my age I need to be especially careful to choose a product that has a very fine, glowy texture. If the texture is too chunky or glittery it can sit in the fine lines near my eyes and make me look older than I am.

My very first highlighter purchase was Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Pearl (liquid form). I bought it from David Jones at half price because they were running out the Becca brand.  Despite Becca being an Australian brand it is a tricky one to get your hands on.  I use this highlighter a couple of ways; firstly it can be added to foundation to give it a more shimmery, dewy finish; secondly I dot it on to my face in the places mentioned above, but given it's a liquid you need to be very careful as it can dislodge foundation, concealer and powder underneath. You can purchase Becca from Sephora and selected day spas.



My next highlighter purchase was Physician's Formula Powder Palette Mineral Glow Pearls in Translucent Pearl. This was my first powder highlighter and is very subtle and good for makeup beginners.  It suits light to medium-toned skin best. It would be difficult to over-do this highlight. Available from Priceline.



My next highlighter purchase was theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer. This product is very bold, super glowy and needs to be applied with a very light hand.  It's available from David Jones. It's a firm favourite as you can see I've hit pan. I've also travelled extensively with it and it has broken a few times from my suitcase being thrown around. It does have a yellow undertone so I'm careful which looks to use it with.



My next discovery was Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Luminous Light. It is also used as a finishing powder but it makes a lovely subtle highlight too. Available from Mecca Maxima.



Last Christmas Hourglass put out a limited edition Ambient Lighting Edit Palette which contained three highlighting powders, two blushes and a bronzer. The highlighters sit in the top row and are Dim Light, Iridescent Light and Diffused Light. These powders are magical in texture and are available individually from Mecca Maxima.



When I was in the US last year I picked up the Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze and Glow Palette. These colours are best suited to fair to medium skin tones and are cult favourites on YouTube. Charlotte Tilbury has an Australian website presence now which has made getting your hands on this brand super easy. The rose gold packaging is very luxe.



Becca is THE cult brand when it comes to highlighter and whilst I was a bit late to the party I've picked up two of their colours. Firstly the Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed in Moonstone. This is a perfect light cream powder that suits my skin tone best.



The second colour I have is Champagne Pop. It's a little dark for my skin and is best suited to a medium skin tone aka Miss P's olive complexion. Jaclyn Hill from YouTube fame teamed up with Becca to produce this beautiful colour. It also makes a stunning eyeshadow colour.



On a recent Melbourne trip I picked up the IT Cosmetics Live, Love, Laugh Vitality Face Disc. The disc contains bronzer, blush and highlighter so is very versatile and great for travel.



My current favourite and most recent purchase is the Physician's Formula Natural Nude Shimmer Strips. What I love about this one is how you can customise your colour by dipping the brush into whichever colour you want. Sometimes I'll pick up a white highlight, sometimes more pink tones, sometimes I pick up more bronzy tones or sometimes I just swirl in all of the colours. This is available from Priceline - but often it's out of stock.



I have also done my best to swatch the highlighters for you. As you can see from my inner arm I am very pale and cool-toned so some of the shades are very subtle, almost invisible, but let's face it highlighter is not meant to be in your face.



And the best brush to apply highlighter is the Real Techniques Setting Brush. It's just the right size and the hairs are soft and pick up just a tiny amount of product.



Let me know your favourite highlighter.

Until next time xx

No comments:

Post a Comment