Saturday 28 November 2015

My Fitness Journey

How it began

Almost 3 years ago Mr P encouraged me to go to the gym with him. I have to admit I wasn't keen but said, "Yeah sure, I'll go if can we can do Pilates."

However we both entered the wrong class at the gym and lucky for us we met an amazing instructor, Leisa, and her class, Body Blast.


She quite literally changed my life. And thankfully she is still my instructor today. Don't go anywhere Leisa!!

I remember being pretty sore and sorry at first but over time I started to feel stronger and overall better.



Now I don't lift the heaviest weight or move as quickly as I wish, but I'm pretty content with how I'm travelling.

My favourite class

I've tried a lot of different classes over the years - Pilates, Yoga, Spin, Aqua Aerobics, Cardio Crusher, Body Pump, Tac Fit, but Leisa's class suits me perfectly.




In our class she includes bar work (weights), hand weights, medicine balls, kettle bells, running, step, boxing, skipping, spin, burpies (yuk) and literally works every muscle group in a 45 minute class. She mixes it up in each class and it's far from boring or repetitive. This class is perfect if you are looking to build lean muscle, and that's exactly what I'm after.

I also have an amazing bunch of classmates who are always a delight to see - Sammy, Rob, Nat, Elyse, Shona, Zoe, Michael, Tanya, Kieran, Laura, Todd and Sandy - love, love, love you guys!!!


Why exercise?

I've learnt that losing weight will always come down to what I eat; end of story. Fitness only contributes to weight loss by a small amount. Fitness, as explained by Bupa Australia, is about:
  • stronger bones
  • less osteoarthritis
  • a healthier heart and lungs
  • a lower risk of type 2 diabetes
  • a lower risk of some cancers
  • better mental health
  • a sharper mind
  • better weight control (but not complete)
For me it clears my mind, relieves stress and of course there’s the social aspect of sweating it out along with a bunch of great friends.

What I've noticed
  • I feel stronger
  • I’m less inclined to get sick (not one sniffle this winter, yay)
  • When the doctor asks if I exercise I can actually say yes
  • My blood test results have improved considerably
  • A more toned body
  • My back pain has disappeared (I think the gym enabled me to maintain a better posture and improve my core strength)
  • Stress and tension are gone after a class or run
  • The sense of achievement I feel at the end of a class or the end of a run

I asked the lovely Leisa for her fitness tips and here they are:

"Keep it simple - we have made exercise too hard"

"Do what's fun"

"Don't exercise when you're exhausted (or you will hurt yourself)"

"Be happy with what you've got, there's always someone who would love to swap lives with you"

“It takes hard work to get fit and even harder work to keep fit”



I've done a few charity runs and rides with the family and that's a great challenge to work towards and there’s a great sense of achievement upon finishing.


Current challenge

At my work this month we are running a health and wellbeing ‘bingo’ and staff in our teams are encouraged to take up various activities to challenge themselves.  The activities are:
  • Go for a walking meeting
  • Walk into the park for lunch
  • Walk around the park at lunch time
  • Do 10,000 steps 5 days a week
  • Take the stairs between meetings
  • Do 100 burpees or push ups or step ups (over the month)
  • Do 30 minutes of exercise a day for 7 days
  • Do an active activity over the weekend

I've read many books written by Michelle Bridges
 and I love her philosophies on health and wellbeing
Prizes (obviously healthy) will be awarded to teams that have completed these and other nutritional activities.  The take up has been incredible and the impact it's having has been so positive.  Next week our team is taking on the stairs - from the bottom to the top of the building!  Argh!!


Leisa bought this poster along to class to show us
just how much exercise is required to burn off
additional calories - it's unbelievable
My current routine

Right now I'm doing 2 gym classes a week (both Body Blast) but I try to run another couple of times a week. It works for me.  It’s been a part of our lifestyle for so long and is not at all a chore but rather something that we all look forward to.
The app I use to record what I eat and how much I exercise
My supporters 

Lucky for me, fitness is a family thing - they always join me at the gym or on a run - thanks for your support Fambam❤.




My advice

Just have a go. Keep trying different activities until you find something that is enjoyable. Find a buddy or friend who will motivate you. As Michelle Bridges, says consistency, consistency, consistency. Think about the health benefits of everything you do. Don't compare yourself with others, just compete with yourself.

Until next time 
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment