Friday 4 December 2015

Cars

My love of cars

We've always been a family who likes cars.

At an off road race event in the early 1980s
My dad sold Jeep spare parts and was always working on cars for as long as I can remember. I didn't grow up with regular Australian cars, they were always of the US variety.
Me in the early to mid-1980s about to navigate with my Dad - and being helped into my helmet by my little brother
You can imagine the attention we got being dropped off at school in this - affectionately named Blu Grit
Yep it's a Jeep - Dad purchased this from the US and had it converted to right-hand drive



We even had this strange vehicle (a US army dukw - yes that's how it's spelt) parked out the front of our house until Dad found a buyer for it.

Yep it was unique to say the least
During my teenage years my Dad decided to give off road racing a go.  He would race at events around South East Queensland and mid-coast New South Wales. We did that for many years. I even gave navigating for him a go a couple of times until my brother was old enough to take the seat from me.


I fell in love with my husband partly because of this car. He really was the coolest boy at school back in the 80s.


When it was time for me to start thinking about a car of my own my Dad suggested a Rambler Hornet. But this was no ordinary car - it was a V8!


My Dad worked tirelessly (along with a bit of help from me) to turn this car into something quite powerful and unique.

Then my brother followed suit soon after. He has drag raced this car and competed in Street Series and Mopar Sunday.  He still owns it to this day.




To celebrate a wedding anniversary my parents bought themselves an AMC Javelin.  Dad competed in Historic Racing events in South East Queensland. Mum and Dad still own and drive this car today.



After settling down and beginning a family our loud and old V8s were replaced with more sensible (read boring) cars. But it worked perfectly for us at that time.




When the kids grew older I decided I wanted a small SUV. The RAV4 was cute, so easy to drive, albeit a bit gutless.



Mr P bought a beautiful silver Monaro. In my opinion, this by far is the nicest car he has had.




When the kids hit their teen years I needed something a little bit bigger so along came the BMW X5 and this time I was driving a V8 again. I loved the sound of it and the colour was spectacular.


Mr P's current vehicle is a Clubsport R8 which makes our office shake every time he drives it into the garage.  There is no way he can sneak home without the neighbourhood hearing him.


Now that the kids are out of school and driving themselves I have moved back into a sedan and this time it's a BMW 328i. Yes it is a 4 cylinder car but it has a twin turbo and of course the same gorgeous blue colour.


Cars are a special thing. We park carefully, avoid gutter rash, meticulously service them and love the sound of a beautiful V8. Okay I know I'm driving a 4 cylinder LOL!!

And my dream car - a Mercedes Benz C63 - and of course at $250K Australian dollars it will remain a dream. Me and my expensive taste...


Until next time
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment